County Galway Other
There are several early oratories near Oughterard.
- There is St Cummin’s (8C) monastery at Kilcummin where there is a mediaeval church. OS: 45 134 423 ?
- At Portcarron near the shore of Lough Corrib is a large enclosure and the ruins of an early oratory. OS: 45 147 434 ?
- St Croine was a virgin saint and recluse of the 6C church in the Carlow/Wicklow area. There are the ruins of a mediaeval church OS: 45 148 407 ?
- St Brecan had an oratory at Rosscahill East. OS: 45 172 382 ?
- Another oratory is to be found at Boleyvaunaun. OS: 45 186 379 ?
- St Annin’s mediaeval church is to be found at Killannin. OS: 45 189 376 ?
- At Killcallin is a ruined mediaeval church. OS: 45 193 350 ?
- At Moycullen are the ruins of a church with a trabeate doorway. OS: 45 234 315 ?
- At Moycullen also is a mediaeval church. OS: 42 230 331 ?
- St Einne (Enda) is a recently discovered oratory with Holy Well, a possible outdoor altar and Bullaun. OS: 45 211 308 ?
All this information, including pictures, has been provided by Anthony Previte.
Many of these sites are heavily overgrown. However they do give a picture of a thriving monastic area close to the Lough from early times.