St. Fachtna (6C) founded a monastery here. There are some famous High Crosses here; there were once perhaps 7 of them, earning the name of Kilfenora as the city of the crosses. The 12C Doorty Cross and the North Cross are in the Cathedral, and 2 Cross shafts and another Cross with them. The West Cross is in an adjacent field. There is also a Holy Well.
OS: 51 184 940 marked
The East face of the Doorty cross has a carving of a bishop with mitre and crozier with his hand pointing down. This may well represent St Peter given that a bishopric was established here in 1152 by the Synod of Kells in the Roman manner. Below are 2 figures in hooded robes with croziers (one with an Irish crozier, the other with a Tau shaped crozier) representing the powers of the local hierarchs the bishop and abbot, thrusting down a winged creature is on top of 2 humans.
The south face has a figure holding a book; at the bottom is a crudely carved head with a beard.
The West Cross has a robed Christ triumphant holding what might be a shrine or reliquary.
One High Cross is now in Killaloe Cathedral. (qv)
There is also a Holy Well.
see also The Burren Kilfenora the City of the Crosses A Ramblers Guide and map, esp. under Christianity and Kilfenora http://www.crsbi.ac.uk/id/cl/kilfe